Friday, August 20, 2010

older crowd.

So as much as I'd like to type all of my posts in English and French I'm only going to do the translation every once in a while until my French is really good. There's just so much that I want to say and I feel like I'm shorting myself by not letting it all out. So we begin this epic post in the true nerdfighter spirit with saying that this post will come to you in 5 parts.

Part 1. I got an adapter! Now I can type at a normal speed thanks to my lovely little netbook and its familiar qwerty layout. I know that it'll be good for me to learn azerty eventually, but hey I've got 10 months right?

Part 2. My French is actually not bad. I can understand pretty much everything that is said to me slowly and about half of what is said at normal speed. I can communicate my wants, needs, and questions and it feels really good. Back at school I really didn't get good grades at all in French and it's weird being told my French is good when I've been used to getting 67's on all my tests. Regardless, I'm pleased with myself.

Part 3. Life in my new house. I LOVE my family. They're all so nice and have been great at teaching me new words! The food is amazing here, though they did buy some "american" meat for lunch the other day that was well...spam. Other than that I'm so stoked to be living here. Oh and just for the record MOM and DAD, the biggest thing in my room is my CLOSET. That's right. Their daughter was just as I thought, a normal teenage girl who loves clothes just as much as me. Oh, and they have like 7 MTV channels here, which is pretty jokes. I've found that MTV Germany has the best music plus the commercials are pretty funny to listen to regardless of my comprehension of what they're actually saying.

Part 4. The city. Arlon is straight out of a story book. It looks just like a town where Belle would live (Pre-being captured by a beast and forced to live in a castle). We went on a tour of the town yesterday and registered me to live here and all that good shtuff. Then we saw a beautiful church. Like I walked in and got that overwhelming feeling similar to the feeling when you're in the wilderness, standing on top of a ridge and you just feel so small but so full. It was crazy cool. I took a bunch of pictures.

Part 5. Lastly, I feel like I should mention at least one thing that's not so great. It's pretty much the only thing that I'm not enjoying dealing with though. Digestion. Yes, it's not a very pretty subject and if you don't want to hear about it, stop reading. It's normal for your stomach to be a little upset when you travel, so that alone isn't that bad. But when you add the nervousness and new food into that you get a stomach that talks. Dani, the other exchange student staying here, is having the same issue. Last night we were talking and our stomachs were carrying on a conversation with each other as well. In short, I hope my tummy starts feeling a little better soon. I also hope my new tattoo starts hurting a little less as well. Other than that I'm problem free!

Whew, glad I got that over with. John, I'll see you on Monday...LOL wat. I r noez Hank Green, fooled you. (Camille's most likely the only person who'll understand that last sentence...I'm okay with this.)

-Alyssa

2 comments:

  1. Of course I understood it! Glad to hear life is jokes way over in the Land of Waffles and Alyssa.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow sounds like you are having a blast so far, except that last part about your stomach :( poor thing! Good thing you've been taking French for a while! Love reading these blog posts :)

    ReplyDelete